WASA was formed in 1965, three years after independence and the only sewerage system existing in the country was the one built over the period 1902-1937. This was inadequate to meet the needs of a newly independent, rapidly growing and developing nation.
WASA then undertook responsibility for managing the now famous Lock Joint Project. This project completed in 1966 involved the construction of new wastewater treatment plants in Port of Spain, San Fernando and Arima along with the installation of associated wastewater systems, 384km of street sewers and 5000 manholes.
After 1966 there was little development in the wastewater sector. The other two significant expansions in the system were the construction of the Scarborough Wastewater Treatment Plant in Tobago in 1994 and the new Beetham Wastewater Treatment Plant in 2004.There were small wastewater treatment plants built and operated by HDC and private developments, some of which have since been taken over by WASA.
The Malabar and San Fernando Wastewater Projects represents the largest investment in the wastewater sector since the Lock Joint Project. The completion of these two Programmmes will provide centralized wastewater services for the entire Malabar and San Fernando catchments, catering for one regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, decommissioning smaller wastewater treatment plants in the catchment, integration and expanding the sewer network and allowing for the provision of sewer services for all residents in the catchments, totaling 212,000 persons.
Completion of these works along with WASA’s other wastewater projects will also see wastewater coverage increase from 30% to 48% nationwide, and provide access to an additional 200,000 persons.